CALL FOR PAARI NATIONAL RECOVERY CORPS VISTA MEMBER APPLICATIONS
About PAARI: The Police Assisted Addiction and Recovery Initiative (PAARI) was founded alongside the Gloucester Police Department Angel Initiative in June 2015 and has grown into a movement of over 500 law enforcement partners in 33 states creating non-arrest pathways to treatment and recovery.
Project Summary: PAARI is currently implementing an AmeriCorps VISTA project funded by the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) to place members in service alongside police to address the opioid epidemic and expand access to treatment and recovery. This program places VISTAs in police departments to help build, strengthen, and sustain police-led programs to reduce and prevent overdose deaths and help more people with opioid use disorder get into treatment and recovery. Some tasks for a VISTA could be and not limited to: Developing a project plan for increasing awareness and participation, community assessments, community awareness and engagement, expanding and strengthening partnerships with service providers, developing financial resources, developing program marketing materials, developing policies and procedures, program development and delivery, technology use, developing data collection systems and processes, and volunteer recruitment and management systems.
We are looking to build a cohort of seventeen (17) PAARI National Recovery Corps VISTAs, spread across the entire nation, from Maine to Washington, from Michigan to Arizona.
Call for VISTA Members: PAARI is seeking individuals interested in doing a year of service at law enforcement agencies across the country. There are 14 total positions for Program Development VISTAs (multiple locations), one Resource Development VISTA (Plymouth, MA), one Police Outreach VISTA (Plymouth, MA), and one VISTA Leader (Plymouth, MA).
- Are at least 18 years old; no upper age limit
- Both local and national candidates
- Are U.S. citizens, US Nationals, Lawful Permanent Resident Aliens, or persons legally residing in a state
- Pass a criminal history review (a criminal background does not automatically preclude an individual)
- Meet knowledge, skill, and ability requirements set by the sponsoring organization
- Serve full-time (average of 35-40 hours per week)
- Make a one year commitment
- Understand living allowance and service benefits
- Commitment to service and the principles of AmeriCorps VISTA
- As these positions will be operating in a new environment, in addition to relevant lived experience and knowledge of the local treatment ecosystem, we will be looking for strong administrative skills, flexibility, resourcefulness, positive attitude, willingness to take initiative, the ability to build rapport with a diverse groups of people, as well as a commitment to PAARI’s mission and values
- Living Allowance (varies based on the cost of living of the service location)
- The Corporation determines the living allowance rate, which varies according to the local cost of living in the area where you serve. See here for your location’s exact living allowance
- Relocation Allowance: If you move 50+ miles from your home to a new community, you receive relocation travel assistance and a setting-in allowance. The rate is based on the mileage between the zip code of the home of record and the zip code of the service site.
- Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE) – NCE is a unique hiring path which makes it easier for federal agencies to hire you
- AmeriCorps Segal Education Award or end of service stipend
- AmeriCorps Segal Education Award- $6,195
- End of Service Stipend- $1,800
- Healthcare Benefits
- Loan Forbearance
- In-Service Training (facilitated by the VISTA Training Unit)
- And many more: More benefits can be found on VISTA Campus
Please click the links below to learn about and apply for one or more service opportunities. Please note that we are also currently accepting applications for our second year of law enforcement host site service locations. We will announce and start accepting applications for these additional positions in the coming weeks.
Program Development VISTA (Full-Time Availability):
Hope Not Handcuffs – Taylor Police Department – Taylor, MI
Hope Not Handcuffs – Saginaw City Police Department
Fraser I – Hope Not Handcuffs – Regional Support – Fraser, MI
Scarborough Police Department – Scarborough, ME
Rhode Island State Police HOPE Initiative – East Providence, RI
Douglas Police & Cochise County Agencies – Douglas, AZ
Holyoke Police Department – Holyoke, MA
Resource Development VISTA (Full-Time Availability):
PAARI Plymouth – National Support – Plymouth, MA
To Apply: To apply, you must create an account and log into the My.AmeriCorps portal and apply to the listing for the specific location you are interested in. Please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible and incomplete applications will not be considered. Candidates will be interviewed and selected on a rolling basis.
PAARI is an equal opportunity employer and reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to participate in the interview process, orientation, and service.