Director of Public Safety Engagement
Closing Date: Applications Accepted Until Position Filled
Job Summary: PAARI has an immediate opening for a full-time Director of Public Safety Engagement to join our team. The Director of Public Safety Engagement will be a key member of the Law Enforcement Outreach team which consists of the Senior Director of Public Safety Engagement and Strategy and four regional outreach team members. Working in concert with the other Outreach Team members, the Director will respond to training, technical assistance and information requests from interested police and public safety partners. In addition, the Director will be tasked with leading specific grant funded projects as needed.
The position is responsible for daily coordination and communication with police and public safety departments across the country working to build the capacity of law enforcement agencies that create non-arrest pathways to treatment and recovery. The Director of Public Safety Engagement is a mission-driven, tech savvy individual who thrives in a fast-paced startup environment, managing multiple projects efficiently and effectively. They must have strong administrative and organizational skills, a strong sense of initiative, and work well independently and as part of a team.
Reports to: Senior Director of Public Safety Engagement and Strategy
- Responsible for operations and administration of assigned PAARI programs, with a large focus on outreach to potential and current partners
- Maintain positive relationships with police departments and other partners
- Work with Programs and Operations Manager to maintain accurate and timely data collection, assure timely report submissions, and manage program evaluations
- Support Executive Director and Senior Director of Public Safety Engagement and Strategy to assist with scheduling, coordinating travel, developing presentations and materials, managing correspondence, follow-up and other tasks as needed
- Provide operational and logistical support for PAARI events
- Directly supervise AmeriCorps members, interns, and volunteers as needed
- Coordinate any other matters related to the implementation of PAARI programs
- Must be an excellent public speaker to small and large audiences. Have an open personal style, be a resilient listener without losing sight of priorities. Develop external and internal communications in relation to the goals, programs, products and services of PAARI. In partnership with the Executive Director, Sen. Director of Public Safety Engagement and Strategy and other staff.
- A Bachelor’s Degree required, an advanced degree a plus.
- 5+ years of extensive experience in law enforcement, with a strong preference for experience running a police deflection program and/or police partnerships with community or public health.
- At least five years of progressively responsible middle to senior management positions in a non-profit or governmental agency setting
- Demonstrated ability to build strong, productive relationships with diverse individuals and organizations to achieve common goals; team player
- Demonstrated understanding of, and commitment to police deflection programs and must possess a strong commitment to the PAARI vision and mission.
- Must possess strong business acumen with demonstrated knowledge of contemporary fundraising, grant writing and communication strategies.
- Experience presenting and training diverse audiences.
- Experience working with the media.
- Exceptional oral and written communications; friendly, poised, professional
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Skilled multi-tasker comfortable in a fast-paced environment with multiple deadlines; ability to work well under time constraints
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, positive attitude, and ability to anticipate needs and solve problems
- High integrity, sound judgment, and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to plan and execute projects simultaneously and independently
- Strong computer and internet skills, competency with Google Drive and Google Calendar preferred
- Ability and willingness to travel within and beyond homestate; valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle required
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends
- Grant management experience a plus
- Commitment to PAARI’s mission and comfortable as an ambassador of PAARI’s mission
How to Apply: This is a full-time, salaried position that can be based anywhere in the lower 48 states of the United States within one hour driving distance of a major airport. The compensation package for this position includes health insurance, including dental and vision, 120 hours paid time off, 401k with employer match, life insurance, professional development, and an annual salary of $75,000 to $85,000, based on experience. Please submit a resume and cover letter in PDF format to email@example.com with “Director of Public Safety Engagement” and your full name in the subject line. We are looking to fill the position immediately and encourage candidates to apply as soon as possible. PAARI is an equal opportunity employer. Individuals with relevant lived experience are encouraged to apply. No phone calls please.
About PAARI: The Police Assisted Addiction & Recovery Initiative (PAARI) is a nonprofit organization with a mission to help police and public safety agencies nationwide create non-arrest pathways to treatment and recovery. Founded alongside the groundbreaking Gloucester Police Department Angel Initiative in June 2015, PAARI has been a driving force behind this rapidly expanding community policing movement. We provide technical assistance, coaching, grants, and other capacity-building resources to more than 650 police departments in 41 states. PAARI and our law enforcement partners are working towards a collective vision where non-arrest diversion programs become a standard policing practice across the country, thereby reducing overdose deaths, expanding access to treatment, improving public safety, reducing crime, diverting people away from the criminal justice system, and increasing trust between law enforcement and their communities. Our programs and partners have saved thousands of lives, changed police culture, and reshaped the national conversation about the opioid epidemic. Learn more at www.paariusa.org.